About Us

"All of our guests commented on how impressed they were with the windmill ... Willesborough Windmill will now always be very special to us both."

Willesborough Windmill is a beautifully restored and maintained white smock mill originally built in 1869 onto a two storey red brick base with an attached miller's cottage.Through its history the landmark has seen many alterations to keep up with the changing needs of the growing community around the area of Willesborough.

Following its most successful years as a working mill it also became a home to the Robbins family until 1989 when the borough council purchased the mill with sight on beginning a 2 year restoration project. The project, completed in 1991, involved a new smock and cap, and the internal machinery had been restored to working order. The lower rooms of the miller's cottage were retained, but the upper part was extended and converted into a self-contained flat to enable a caretaker to live on site.

It is now a Grade II* listed building and is run by the Willesborough Windmill Trust Limited - a group of volunteers who work all year round to fund-raise, further restore and maintain it for future generations.

The Windmill is now regularly open to the public with guided tours available and the Barn Cafe offering light refreshments. Friends of Willesborough Windmill are also producing their own bread and cakes using the flour ground in the windmill from local grain. This is a strong wholemeal flour and is on sale in the Barn and from other selected local outlets.